Not the KFC Colonel Sanders' eleven secret herb & spices - just the five spices & Beer in this dish!
The literal translation is salted crispy chicken - the forever popular Taiwanese soul food.
Fresh basil is the key element of this dish - they will give the chicken so much flavour and aroma!!
Enjoy before I finish them up!
(c) GMV - Got My Vote!
- 1 whole chicken breast
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1T sugar syrup
- 1T Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 Beer
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of Sweet Potato Statch
- 1 bunch of fresh Thai Basil (this variety is more fragrant than the normal basil - closest I can find to match the authentic taste)
- Five-Spice Fried Chicken Salt
1. Marinate the chicken pieces overnight.
2. Add an egg to the mixture & mix well.
3. Lightly toss the chicken pieces in the sweet potato starch.
4. Deep fried till golden.
5. Throw in some Thai Basil for 20 seconds at the end.
Very nice when you can taste a hint of beer:)
Well, like Christmas dinner preparation, CNY dinner is equally exhausting. Usually one need to prepare 6,8 or 10 dishes for this special night.
A glass of wine in one hand, pour in 1/2 glass of beer into the marinate. Hey, if I needed a drink, the chicken needed one too.
The best part of this dish is the mandatory garnish - the deep fried Thai bas leaves!! Goes so well with another drink ...