Saturday, September 20, 2014

Cooking Lab - Super Easy Honey Hummus Dip


Hummus never caught my attention. It is kind of hard to compete with fancy gourmet dips with its plain cream texture. For $4.99 a tub, my money usually goes to the exotic capsicum pesto dip, roasted fig with macadamia dip or caviar dip.

....until I see my colleague having it everyday and never seems to get tired of it.
She tested various brand of dips - but they are all hummus, nothing else.

So I gave Hummus a chance and I must say it was not an earth-shattering taste experience. It tasted nice but that's it. It does not leave a memorable imprint.

So my dear friends take me to an out-of-town Turkish restaurant where they serve charcoal chicken and lamb kebabs. The combination of hummus and grilled meat instantly struck me. My gosh, so this is how you eat hummus. It is... actually quite good.


(c) GMV - Got My Vote!


Hummus is a chick-pea based dip and is a staple meze in the Middle Eastern.

 
A perfect replacement for butter in a wrap or sandwich.

It tastes delicious with crisps or crackers. 

My quirky favourite: Hummus dip with Kettle's chili potato chips~  
Ingredients:
- 1 can of chickpea
- 2 tablespoon of cream fraiche
-2 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon paprika fries sprinkle 
- 1 packet garlic nibble crackers


Instructions:

1. Rinse chickpea under cold running water. Drain
2. Add chickpea, cream fraiche, crushed garlic, honey, salt and lemon juice in the food processor.
3. Blend and slowly add in the olive oil in.
4. Continuing blending until the mixture become a smooth creamy paste.
5. Scoop the hummus dip into a serving dish.
6. Drizzle with some more olive oil on top.
7. Season with more paprika fries salt.
8. Garnish with a few roasted chickpeas and herbs.
9. Enjoy with garlic flavoured crackers. 


This honeyed hummus has a sweeter taste and will make you look at hummus differently.

BTW: It is ridiculously easy and cheap to make. All it takes is 3 minutes in the blender. 
No cooking involved.