Sunday, July 20, 2014

Cooking Lab - Black Truffle Pearl Mushroom & Chicken Risotto in WhiteWine

Guess what! It's Hello Black Truffle time!~ 

I've got a real black truffle! I am excited for sure, but at the same time, troubled. 

I received a fresh black truffle from WA. It's the first time I cook with a fresh truffle, so I want to make the most out of it.

Let's see what I can come up with ...



(c) GMV - Got My Vote!


Tonight I am making a chicken & pearl mushroom in honour of this truffle. Since it's a special occasion, I am putting an extra effort in the presentation. 

I am feeling pretty excited! 


Initially before the anticipated black truffle arrive, I imagined it to be as big as a gold nugget - or at least as chunky as a button mushroom. But this is what I got...



Hello there, don't be shy. 
Come out, come out. Ahhh... Don't you look so....like a goat poo?!!

I have never possessed a whole truffle and it came from a long way.

What should I do with it? Cook it, of course. But how? I mean to maximize my experience what black truffle really taste and smell like. 


Precious little black thing, isn't it? 


I've place the fresh black truffle within the arborio rice overnight so the aromatic fragance of truffle will permeate through the risotto rice.


Ingredients:

- 300g chicken breast 
- 2 cups arborio rice 
- 1 cup white wine 
- 1 brown onion 
- 1 garlic clove 
- 2 Lebanese cucumber 
- 3 cherry radish 
- 1 bunch brocolini 
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter 
- 50g shaved parmesan cheese 
- 10g fresh black truffle 
- 2 cups chicken stock 
- 100g button mushroom 
- 100g pearl mushroom 
- 100g enoki mushroom 
- 3 tablespoon truffle olive oil 
- 1 handful shaved parmesan cheese 
- Sea salt, white & black pepper

Instructions:

1. Finely dice the brown onion, button, pearl and enoki mushrooms.

2. Leave some tips of the pearl and enoki mushrooms for plating later.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and some butter in a frypan on medium heat. Gently sear the chicken pieces and season with a pinch of sea salt & white pepper. Remove.

4. Sauté onion and mushrooms in the melting butter oil until soften and golden.

5. Add half of the white wine and let it simmer on the side.
6. Warm up the chicken stock.

7. Use a separate large heavy-based saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of truffle olive oil over medium-low heat. 

8. Add in the arborio rice and gently stir around and coat the rice lightly in oil.

9. Add the onion & mushrooms and all the juice to the rice.

10. Add the white wine and continue to stir.

11. Add a ladle of warm chicken stock to the rice. Continue with the process until the rice has absorb all the stock liquid.


12. Return the chicken to the pan. and season with sea salt and freshly grounded black pepper.

13. Meanwhile, thinly slice the cucumber and the cherry radish. Add some ice cubes to keep fresh.

14. Heat up the frypan on medium heat. Gently fry the enoki mushroom tips until golden and crispy.

15. Add in the tips of the oyster mushrooms, sauteed until cook through. Remove.

16. Add a small amount of oil into the same pan, sprinkle a dash of salt flakes.

17. Cook the broccoli until soften. Remove.


    Now it's plating fun time:


18. Divide the risotto among 8 large white serving plates.

19. Curl the cucumber slices and garnish with radish disks and broccoli florets around.

20. Serve with freshly shaved parmesan cheese.


21. Shave some fresh black truffle on top of each dish.


Well you look at that! Pretty as a picture. 



Perhaps it's my first time, fine-dining plating is a bit tedious. However I am impressed with my effort. 


By the way, the risotto tastes fabulous. The addition of the freshly shaved black truffle just lift the whole dish considerably. It certainly leave a strong impression. 

Oh dear, what am I going to do? Now I've tasted the real deal ... I've got truffle on my mind!